For more than 50 years, SCAJ has been the leading voice for plaintiff’s attorneys in the Palmetto State. From the Statehouse in Columbia to the County Courthouse in Allendale, we provide exclusive services designed just for trial lawyers.
As a SCAJ member, you will have the resources and tools you need to make your practice more successful, while also being part of a community that works hard to preserve access to the courts, protect individual rights and promote justice -- which will help you help your clients.
- Confidential Online List Servers -- The SCAJ List Servers are electronic mailing lists that allow members to confidentially communicate with each other on specific topics that are important to lawyers. Through these forums, you will have access to a wealth of knowledge and support on issues including Consumer Real Estate, Family Law, Torts & Negligence, Medical Malpractice, Workers Compensation and many more. When you subscribe to a specific List Server, messages are delivered directly to your inbox. And all correspondence is conveniently archived right here on our website in an easily searchable format. The ability to converse with hundreds of other trial lawyers from across the state can often mean the difference between a good verdict and a bad verdict -- especially for small firms with limited in-house resources.
- Seminars and Retreats -- Twice per year, SCAJ Members gather together for annual events: At the SCAJ Convention each August at the Westin Resort in Hilton Head, and at the Auto Torts seminar held at the Ritz Carlton-Buckhead in Atlanta, GA, each December. In the past year, SCAJ added an additional Young Lawyers Seminar in Myrtle Beach, SC.
- Local Member Events -- Throughout the year, SCAJ hosts meetups, cocktail hours and membership events across the state. These regional events are excellent networking and socializing opportunities for members.
- Membership Directory -- Our Membership Directory allows you to instantly find contact information for fellow SCAJ members across the state and the country.
- Document Bank and Expert Database -- SCAJ membership includes access to TRIALSmith, the largest online litigation bank in the world, exclusively for trial lawyers. This document bank features thousands of searchable depositions, trial & appellate briefs, pleadings, motions, jury instructions and case law. And our expert database will help you find the right expert for your case.
- Continuing Legal Education -- CLE opportunities and ethics hours are offered at each of our seminars.
- SCAJ Magazine: The Justice Bulletin -- Each edition of our quarterly publication features timely articles by judges, nationally-known experts, professors and SCAJ members, as well as Association activities, calendars and notifications.
- Premium Liability Insurance -- As a SCAJ member, you will have access to liability insurance through the Shea Barclay Group, the leading national broker of professional insurance for law firms.
- Discounted UPS Shipping -- Members can save up to 26% on an expanded portfolio of UPS Air and International Express shipping. And for any firm, regardless of size, the savings add up fast.
- Expert Government Relations -- As the leading voice of the legal community in our state, we understand the importance of remaining active at the Statehouse. SCAJ coordinates a day-to-day legislative advocacy program with members of the South Carolina General Assembly by utilizing the talents of our members and our professional lobbying team. Each session, we pursue an aggressive legislative agenda that promotes justice in South Carolina and fights against efforts aimed at eroding the rights of the people.
- Effective Political Action -- Formed in the late 1970s, the SCAJ Political Action Committee has become an extremely influential organization by supporting elected officials and candidates who are friends of the legal community. The SCAJ-PAC focuses on recruiting and endorsing pro-justice candidates, providing resources and support, engaging in direct political advocacy, and promoting positive public policy.
- Legislative Updates -- Members get exclusive information, like bill monitoring and polling information, weekly during the legislative session.
“Through my Association membership I am informed regularly on legislative action, I have worked with other lawyers on significant trial and appellate cases, and I have made lasting friendships. I am SCAJ.”
John S. Nichols, Esq.
"I joined SCAJ in 1973 and I have attended almost every Convention and every CLE since then. I have learned how to be a better trial lawyer, learned new ways to present my cases, and have met many new lawyers from all over the state that has resulted in many referrals. I encourage all new or older trial lawyers to join and get active in this wonderful organization."
Fayrell Furr, Jr., Esq.
Knowledge. Experience. Education. Advocacy. Resources. Value. Communication. You need all of these to ensure your success. Only the South Carolina Association for Justice, as the exclusive statewide association dedicated to trial lawyers, can deliver it.